Kosala Saaga - Lal Bhaji


Kosala Saga is the Oriya term for Lal Bhaji is said to be extremely good for hair. When was a kid, my mother used to feed me lal bhaji almost every other day. I didn’t like that much then. In Orissa, we eat lal bhaji with pakhala bhata(steamed rice dipped in salt water and tempered with curd, curry leaves, lime juice, cumin and mustard seeds) and macha bhaja( Fish Fry).
I stopped eating when I left home. However, nowadays I crave for this saag a lot. I add lentils too a little to it while cooking because I don’t cook daal every day and eat with Roti. However, to enjoy it more, you should it with rice only.


Ingredients :
1 bunch red lal bhaji washed 3 to 4 times and chopped
1 big onion chopped
3 green chili chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp masoor daal soaked in water for 2 hours
1 tsp moong daal soaked in water for 2 hours.
5-6 garlic cloves crushed.


Method to cook :
Heat oil in a kadai. Add cumin seed.
As it starts spluttering, add crushed garlic and cook for a minute. Add green chilies, onions and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the lentils. Add lal bhaji and salt to taste.
Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
Open the lid at regulat intervals to mix the ingredients well. It prevents the food from sticking to the kadai.

No comments:

Post a Comment